Teamwork is a very dangerous topic to talk about. It's a great concept and it's a nice way to describe how you want people to work together. The difficulty is that you can begin to run the risk of having folks think that somehow responsibility lies with the group and not the individual. And that's the mistake.·
~ Mark Gallagher (Formula One Executive and Author of The Business of Winning - Strategic Success from the Formula One Track to the Boardroom)
Mark Gallagher has been a regular face in and around the heady world of Formula 1 and other forms of topflight motorsport for over 30 years. Today he is a co-commentator for the BBC in the UK in addition to being a much sought after keynote speaker for companies all around the world, eager to learn from his experiences in this fascinating sport.
During his career, Marked worked with many of the sport’s leading teams and drivers, including former World Champions Ayrton Senna, Michael Schumacher and Jenson Button. He still works closely with several of the sport’s major stars including David Coulthard, Mika Hakkinen and Jacques Villeneuve.
Along the way, Mark also founded his own racing team; Status Grand Prix, which won the 2009 World Cup of Motorsport, or A1GP Series as it was known. He also helped develop the new hybrid petrol-electric engine regulations introduced into Formula One in 2014, and recently published his second book - 'The Business of Winning - Strategic Success from the Formula One track to the Boardroom’.
And if his racing exploits aren’t enough to convince you of his credentials, then i can also add that between 2005 and 2009 Mark was motor sport consultant to Disney Pixar on their smash hit blockbuster movies CARS and CARS II.
As someone who loves Formula 1 and is fascinated not only by the spectacle but also by the amazingly complex team dynamics at play, I am absolutely thrilled to be able to share this conversation with one of sports ultimate team players.
Ladies and gentlemen the one and only Mark Gallagher.
ARE YOU FOLLOWING US ON SOCIAL MEDIA YET? WE NEED YOUR HELP
The best way to help us is by telling your friends and sharing our links online! Say Hi! or leave us a comment on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook using the handle @barnraiserspod.
Also, we would also really appreciate it if you could spare a minute or two to leave a review on iTunes - it really would mean the world to us! (for instructions on how to leave a review on iTunes, please see the links below)
You can also find everything Barnraisers (including links to all the episodes) on our homepage www.barnraiserspodcast.com.
And finally you can email me personally with any thoughts, suggestions, stories or feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Formula One Speakers | Mark Gallagher — The online home for all things Mark Gallagher!
- Mark Gallagher (@_markgallagher) | Twitter — Follow Mark on Twitter!
- Mark Gallagher | LinkedIn — Contact Mark on LinkedIn!
- Mark Gallagher (@_markgallagher) • Instagram photos and videos — Follow Mark on instagram
- 2016 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX OF EUROPE - Williams Pitstop — The world record pitstop that Mark talks about on the show.
- Ferrari F1 Pit Stop Perfection Slow Motion - YouTube — To really appreciate what's going on during the pitstop, check out this slow motion version of the Ferrari team in action!
- A1 Team Ireland Win the World Cup of Motorsport - YouTube — Mark and his Team Ireland winning the World Cup at Brands Hatch in 2009.
- The Business of Winning: Strategic Success from the Formula One Track to the Boardroom: Mark Gallagher: 9780749472726: Amazon.com: Books — Get Mark's book using this link to Amazon!
- The Business of Winning (9780749472726) — The publishers page for the book; The Business of Winning; Strategic Success from the Formula One Track to the Boardroom.